Image Map

Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Jungle Book

The Jungle BookThe Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The entire time I read this collection of short stories I just kept relating it to the Disney film. (Oh, they included that. Wait, why didn’t they elaborate on that more?) Which, I admit, is kind of sad but I now understand why Disney thought it a good idea to turn the fables into a film. Kipling’s tales all teach a moral at the end, something I think is waning in current children literature. It was nice to read a children’s story with a point.



The collection is best-known for its ‘Mowgli’ stories but to be honest my favourite was the story of The White Seal. It was beautifully written and was more about protecting yourself than the open war that Mowgli’s relationship with Shere Khan seems to suggest.



The poems and songs were great and would be highly entertaining to read aloud to little kids.



Anyone with kids should definitely read this to their children at some point. There’s a reason it’s a classic.

Rudyard Kipling
The Jungle Book
Collins Classics, this edition published 2010 (first published 1894)
212pp. $3.00
ISBN 9780007350858

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment