Image Map

Sunday 4 August 2013

John Green's Romance with Geeky Boys

Looking for AlaskaLooking for Alaska by John Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Miles and Alaska. Colin and Katherine. Quentin and Margo. I have yet to read The Fault in Our Stars but I won't be surprised if I find the novel just about the same two characters with different names. Ironically, I bought The Fault in Our Stars first. I had heard good things about it and was anxious for a new book but as fate would have it and by a series of unrelated events I read Green's first three first.

Since I read Looking for Alaska first my opinion of it was untainted and I quite liked it. It's a good story with very entertaining characters and relationships. However, I couldn't decide where in fit in the age bracket because it is written like the atypical middle school fiction novel but then Green writes about concepts and themes that would be more suitable to a more matured high school audience. The downside to this novel is that the ending to the novel is highly anticipated but disappointedly poorly thought out.

Then I read An Abundance of Katherines with the notion that I would enjoy the quick read like I had its predecessor. I thought it was slightly better written but was a little downtrodden at its similarity to the first one only with useless and irksome math in the footnotes. If you want to read a book that helps you enjoy math, read The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa.

And then I read Paper Towns and finally my eyes opened up to pattern.

All I can say with regards to John Green; is that I hope, when I finally am able to read The Fault in Our Stars it surprises me and lives up to at least some of the expectations I had before I was educated in Green's favourite storyline.


An Abundance of Katherines Paper Towns The Housekeeper and the Professor

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment