Image Map

Wednesday 7 August 2013

A Book About Book Clubs and Book Lovers

The End of Your Life Book ClubThe End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If I was dying of pancreatic cancer I probably would want to spend, not all but, a lot of my remaining time reading. The End of Your Life Book Club illustrates a woman who does exactly this. Written through the perspective of her son (who also happens to be the author), Will Schwalbe, we are taken on a journey that highlights the power of literature and the bond it can create between two people. In this case, mother and son.

I enjoyed reading this book, however, I so desperately wanted to love it and was unfortunately did not finish it with that outlook. I wanted the story to read more fluently and less like I was listening to an old woman recounting disjointed events from her past. Instead, it seemed to ennoble the mother, Mary Anne Schwalbe. I mean, I know that she is his mother but I wanted to love her character the same way he did and I didn't because she just seemed to perfect in her personality, her life and her embracement of her death. It's comforting to read a book and think that the character only succeeds in life if you keep reading because then you as the reader become a part of it. Even when reading memoirs or biographies if the highlighted character doesn't need you it becomes more difficult to keep reading and in your own way, be there for them.

However, despite all that Schwalbe pulls you into the scenario quite well. The concept of their private book club is what sells this book. The book's love of good books, bad books, new books, old books, any type of book that you enjoy reading for one aspect or another, really holds the reader in if they also happen to be a book worm by heart or by trade.

So, not my favourite biography/memoir but still a pretty decent one. One that gives you comfort in mourning and hope that life will go on.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment