Image Map

Tuesday 9 December 2014

All the Truth That's in Me - Julie Berry

All the Truth That's in MeAll the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

CATEGORY: REQUIRED AUTHOR

Berry's All the Truth That's in Me is about a young girl who was kidnapped and then returned home with her tongue cut out. I'm assuming that the novel is set in recently colonised America, at least that's the vibe I got as a reader. However, that fact is never fully revealed. The novel is all about Judith's struggle in readjusting to life at home. The town outcasts her because of her inability to speak but Judith, through the help of Maria, finds the ability to talk again. The book is written from the point-of-view of Judith but directed at her childhood friend, now turned love interest. As this develops so does Judith's will to share the truth of what happened in regards to her kidnapping and her friend's murder.

I have to admit that for the longest time I avoided reading this book. My roommate had suggested it to me previously but I judged it by its cover! When we had to read a Julie Berry novel for my YA lit class I finally caved in and read it. And I really liked it. The novel is totally what you wouldn't expect and very unique in the YA world. And although it has the cliché romance element to it, the romance is nuanced and the novel focuses more on Judith's growth and development with the entire town in her endeavour to tell the truth.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment